Ipswich Saddlers Arms
last owner tollemache
2 Woodhouse St
grid reference TM 167 443
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 17/07/2015
Also listed at Waterworks St, Upper Victoria St (in 1865) and 3 Victoria Street (in 1871)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1855 states :
To be sold by auction, by order of the Mortgagees under a power of sale, a desirable freehold premises, situated at the corners of Victoria Street and Back Street, in the parish of St. Clement's, Ipswich; comprising a newly erected and substantial brick and slated, dwelling house, with white brick elevation, licensed for the sale of beer, and known as the Saddler's Arms Inn, having entrance passage, tap room, 2 parlours, 3 chambers, well arranged bar, with corner entrance and an attractive front upon each of the above named streets. Also adjoining, and used as part of the Inn, is another dwelling house, having entrance passage, storeroom, 2 parlours, and 3 chambers. There is excellent cellarage under the two houses. In the yard is a convenient brewery, fitted with a small but well arranged plant. Mr Ross (auctioneer) would beg to draw the attention of small capitalists to the above highly desirable property; which is situated nearly adjoining to the new works of the Ipswich Water Proprietors, in the neighbourhood of the Quays, and in the middle of a large population. An excellent opportunity now offers itself to any person who, in addition to the Inn, is desirous of carrying on the business of a family brewer; a fair trade of this description having been established by the late proprietor.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)