Ipswich Rose of England Inn
closed January 22nd, 1967
last owner Tolly Cobbold
76-78 Woodbridge Rd
grid reference TM 169 446
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 29/02/2016
Now a Chinese restaurant. The frontage has been much altered since the pub closed, though the building is still recognisable by its roof-line.
Also listed at 60 Woodbridge Rd (in 1871) and 70 Woodbridge Rd (in 1888)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Feb 1875 states that :
To be sold by auction, as instructed by the Trustee, under the Will of Mr Richard Chaplin, deceased, in one lot, the Rose of England, situated on Woodbridge Road, Ipswich, a well accustomed beer house, containing a bar, a large club room, a capital cellar, 2 sitting rooms, and 5 sleeping rooms, with a yard and skittle ground at the back. Also 2 substantially built brick dwelling houses, Nos. 72 and 74 adjoining. The property is all freehold, and let and rentals produce an aggregate income of £39 10s per annum.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)