Ipswich Prince of Wales
also traded as as: Warriors, Beaton Track, Top Bananahistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
opened 17th cent early
closed 1900 (circa)
14-20 Fore St
grid reference TM 166 443Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 13/09/2016
The building is much altered from former times, having been cut back to allow road-widening. Through more recent years it's traded as a pub under several names, Top Banana being the most recent. The building has gone through a number of uses since Top Banana closed, few of them for long.
Prince of Wales shown on an 1881 map of Ipswich.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Nov 1855 states :
To be let a full licensed public house, known as the Prince of Wales, in the parish of St Clements, with a capital corner shop, where a profitable pork trade has been carried on for upwards of 12 years. For particulars apply to the counting house of Messrs. Cobbold and Son, Brook Street, Ipswich.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)