Ipswich Orwell Hotel
previously known as Orwell Inn
closed January 1961
last owner catchpole
120 New Cut West
grid reference TM 167 435
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 17/07/2015
Demolished. The 1883 OS map shows this to have stood on the north-west corner of the junction between New Cut West and Bright Street. It closed in 1961 as part of a long-standing scheme to reduce the number of "excess" alcohol licenses.
Also listed at Griffin Rd (1855) and Griffin Wharf (in 1865 & 1869).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)