Ipswich Norfolk Hotel
previously known as Norfolk Inn,
opened 1854 circa
closed July 1958
last owner tollemache
175 Princes St
grid reference TM 158 440
View in Google Earth
last updated 17/07/2015
Stood on the corner of Quadling Street (Town centre side).
(information from Rod Cross)
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 10 Jun in 1854 states that :
Peremptory sale by order of the Mortgagee - a newly-erected Brick-built & slated Dwelling House, with walled-in yard & workshop, in the occupation of Mr John JARVIS, known as the Norfolk Hotel, Quadling Street, Ipswich.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 12 Apr in 1854 states that :
Auction of leasehold property in St Peter's, Ipswich - Three brick-built-and-slated Messuages, situate in the New Friars' Road, one of which is in the occupation of Mr John JARVIS, Beerseller & Glazier, the other two are unoccupied.
An advert in the The Bury and Norwich Post*** on Tue 13 March 1866 lists this pub as part of the sale of Stonham Brewery together with 26 other premises.
A report in the Bury & Norfolk Post & Suffolk Herald** on 19 Jun in 1883 states that :
Reference to the theft of 3 billiard balls from the Norfolk Hotel, Ipswich, the property of Mr TIDMAN. As the prisoner had also stolen billiard balls in Lowestoft, he was imprisoned for 1 month.
Listed as the Norfolk Inn by 1928.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)