Ipswich New Anchor
closed July 18th, 1908
1 Austin St
last updated 17/07/2015
Also listed as Anchor, 33 & 35 Bell Lane in 1861.
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
In 1861 listed at 33 & 35 Bell Lane, next to Little Wonder at 29 & 31 on the opposite side of road to the Good Intent.
[Another Anchor is listed at 1&3 Bell Lane in 1861, with the Old Bell (unnamed) probably listed at 2&4 Dock St.]
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
At the Ipswich Petty Sessions of 31st December 1874 the license for the New Anchor, Austin Street, was transferred from John Ranson to Thomas Nicholls.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)