Ipswich Old Marsh Tavern
previously known as Marsh Tavern
closed May 31st, 1960
last owner tollemache
93-95 Princes St
grid reference TM 159 442
View in Google Earth
last updated 20/10/2013
Stood on the corner of Chalon Street (Railway Station side).
(information from Rod Cross)
We had thought that the Marsh Tavern had replaced the old Marsh Tavern but the following article suggests that they may have both traded near here at the same time for at least a while?
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Aug-05 in 1871 when Thomas Mayhew was the landlord states that :
"Mayhew (landlord of the Marsh Tavern and cab propretor) was charged with receiving stolen horse feed from a Samuel Mealing. Mealing was seen frequently carrying a sack into Mayhews public house by Mr Pooley (landlord of the Old Marsh Tavern) and Issac Norman (landlord of the Three Swans). Mayhew was found guilty and sentenced to 12 months hard labour."
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historical details supplied by Neil Langridge)