Ipswich Leopard Inn
opened 1820 circa
104 Crown St
last updated 27/12/2013
Note that the old Leopard also had a second entrance on Clay Lane and this may also cause some confusion about the pub's location. The 1909 Ipswich Rates book lists it at 104 Tower Ramparts.
Listed in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923, so evidently closed after 1923.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(* various detailed information by Ian Wakeling)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
Name may be a reference to The Worshipful Company of Weavers whose coat of arms includes three leopards heads? They were granted their first Charter by Henry II in 1155.