Ipswich King's Head
also traded as as: Old King's Headhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
14 King St
grid reference TM 161 445Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 09/07/2017
The King's Head was demolished to make way for the Corn Exchange in 1880, together with adjacent Sickle. This was one of the town's most ancient inns; one of only 24 to appear on a town assessment of 1689. It's claimed**** that King Street takes its name from the inn. It was a notorious venue for cock-fighting in the 18th century.
These premises were listed in the 1844 White's Directory, with carriers operating from the inn to Bergholt.
By 1865 it was called the Old Kings Head.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(***** information supplied by Neil Langridge)