Ipswich John Barleycorn
closed March 17th, 1958
last owner tollemache
101 Woodhouse St
grid reference TM 170 443
View in Google Earth
last updated 11/04/2015
Also listed at 73 Woodhouse Street (before 1904), 9 New Victoria Street (in 1871) and Pottery st. The 1883 OS map places it on the north-west corner of the junction between Woodhouse St and Dove Lane.
Closed in 1958 as part of a long-standing scheme to reduce the number of "excess" alcohol licenses.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Ipswich licensing records.
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
John Barleycorn is usually a jocular reference to beer or ale or malt liquor and often used in verse - historically associations would be of "noble blood", usually a supporter of the crown and other traditional values.