Bury St Edmunds New Inn
previously known as New Hotel
42 Northgate St
grid reference TL 854 649
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 30/07/2015
The building dates from approximately 1860 and stands on the site of an earlier pub.
Appears as the New Hotel on the 1885 OS map.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Mar-24 in 1877 when John Webb was the landlord reports that :
John Webb stood as a character witness for John Pizzey landlord of the Black Boy who was found guilty of theft.
In 1840 -1891 was listed in 40 Northgate St.
1891-2 White's Directory lists the New Hotel and also a beerhouse keeper at 40a.
In Sep/Oct 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that Don & Angie Pepperell took over New Inn (GK) in May with three new handpumps installed.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)