grid reference TM 164 441Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 19/04/2018
Ipswich Half Moonhistorical era: mid 20th century
opened 17th century
86 Foundation St
This was one of Ipswich's most ancient inns; one of only 24 listed in a town assessment of 1689. It was demolished in 1960.
The Half Moon has also been listed at Lower Foundation Street and Lower Brook Street.
This was possibly once the family residence of Henry Tooley, a Portman of Ipswich who died in 1551. He left a fortune which provided alms houses in nearby Tooley Street (which are still there today). The pub's "king post" was considered remarkable with fox and geese carved upon it. This is supposed to be a satirical reference to the condition of the townspeople and the monks before the suppression of the monasteries. Wood panelling and mantelpieces were later removed to Holy Wells mansion.
It's shown (though not named) on this old OS map from about the end of the 19th century. larger map
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.