Ipswich Griffin Innhistorical era: ancient
opened 16th cent
grid reference TM 162 446Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 19/06/2017
This was one of the town's most ancient inns; one of only 24 to appear on a town assessment of 1689. It's actually recorded as far back as 1528.
The inn stood somewhere on a site which is now partly now covered by the Crown & Anchor building, and was pulled down in about 1842. One 18th century landlord of the ancient inn was a man called Selby who inherited £14,500 from Lord Chedworthon on the grounds that he "was in no wise related." Apparently the nobleman was a known eccentric and had a strong predilection for the drama; he also left money to performers of a nearby Playhouse, which was built in the Griffin's former yard in 1728.
It was in the Griffin yard, that previous to the erection of a Theatre, stage plays were frequently performed by the Duke of Grafton's and other companies. In the latter part of the last century, the house was kept by one, Selby, whose family were legatees under the extraordinary Will of the eccentric Lord Chedworth, to a total sum of £14,500. His lordship had a special love for the drama, and several actors and others benefited under his will. Much of Lord Chedworth's time appears to have been spent in this house.C H Evelyn White****
Historically, the Griffin may be described as a commercial inn.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History, 1888)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.