Ipswich Griffin Inn
also traded as as: Griffenhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed April 5th, 1951
last owner cobbold
160 New Cut West
grid reference TM 167 434Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 17/07/2015
Demolished. It stood on the corner of New Cut West and Bath Street.
Also listed at Black Wall, New Bank (1844), Steam Packet Wharf (1855), Griffin Wharf (1865+1869) and New Foundry (1871).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1855 states :
To be sold by auction, at the Griffin Inn, near the steam boat wharf, Ipswich, all the useful household furniture, trade fittings and utensils and effects; comprising sets of cherry tree and arm chairs, mahogany dining, Pembroke and other tables; fenders, chimney glasses, and the usual parlour furniture; mahogany four post, French and other bedsteads; feather beds and bedding, chest of drawers, japanned wash stands, dressing tables and glasses, toilet requisites, etc., the usual kitchen and culinary requisites. The trade fittings and utensils comprise grained and panelled counter with marble slab, 5 brass beer engines and pipes; gas metre, pipes, and burners; sets of stone spirit casks, with taps; drinking tables, mugs, glasses, spirit measures, etc. Three pleasure or ferry boats, with oars, etc., complete; 9 strong store pigs, and a variety of useful outdoor effects.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.