Ipswich Green Man
closed December 30th, 1911
55 Key St
grid reference TM 167 441
View in Google Earth
last updated 04/08/2014
Apparently stood adjacent to the Ram Inn.
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Apr-05 in 1843 when Thomas Cowles was landlord states:
"Hayward Ling left the pub with Charles Cole on their way to the Dove moments later a cry was heard and a splash. Cole was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to transportation for life."
The Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History**** record:
"A circumstance [...] happened 12th December 1778, which resulted in the death of the landlord of the "Ram Inn", a Mr. Thomas Nichols, in consequence of a scuffle between the press gang and a number of men assembled at the adjacent "Green Man" Inn."
This premises was listed in the 1844 White's Suffolk Trades Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Thwaite.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census information from Dudley Diaper)
(detailed information by Katherine O'Regan)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(**** From the Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and Natural History, dated 1888)
A Green Man is a sculpture, drawing, or other representation of a face surrounded by or made from leaves. Also frequently found on carvings in churches and other buildings (both secular and ecclesiastical).