Ipswich Great Eastern Railway Hotel
previously known as Great Eastern Railway Tavern, GER
closed July 18th, 1908
81 Commercial Rd
grid reference TM 160 440
View in Google Earth
last updated 16/07/2015
Stood at the east side of the junction between Commercial Road and Wolsey Street.
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
On 30th December 1874 a fire was discovered to have broken out in the hay loft at the back of the GER Tavern, which is situated in Commercial Road. The fire apparatus at the Goods Station, directly opposite, being always kept in readiness in case of emergency, was fetched, and by its aid the fire was speedily extinguished.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
The Eastern Union Railway was opened for public passenger traffic in June 1846 from an end-on junction with the Eastern Counties Railway at Colchester to a terminus at Ipswich which now forms part of the Great Eastern Main Line. A connecting line to Bury St Edmunds opened in December 1846. Ipswich station then moved to the site of present station after the connecting tunnel was completed. The company became a constituent of the Great Eastern Railway in 1862.