Ipswich Fox & Hounds
opened 1840s (mid)
closed June 13th, 1919
10 Tanners St
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/07/2015
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 07 Oct in 1848 states that :
Auction of Lot 1, A substantially newly-erected brick & slate premises, known as the "Boot Beer House", now in full trade, having a frontage in Austin Street & Curriers' Arms Lane, Ipswich, now in the occupation of Mr GREEN, Grocer & Tea Dealer on Lease for 7 years, at twelve pounds per annum, comprising a roomy shop, parlour & back kitchen, 3 bed chambers & cellar (subsequent 5 lots were properties No.2 - 9, Austin Street & formed, together with the Boot, the entire street in St Mary at the Elms, Ipswich) Freehold & Land Tax redeemed.
This pub was probably the Boot, Austin St. in St Mary at the Elm civil parish. Austin St. probably became part of Tanner's St. between 1861 & 1874.
Has also been listed at number 118 Tanner's Lane, the 1909 Ipswich Rate book lists it at number ten Tanner's Street. So presumably on the corner of the two?
NB: Tanners Lane ran roughly where the stretch of Civic Drive between Handford Rd. and Princes St. now runs, with Tanners Street running east to Curriers Lane.
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923 (month uncertain as the handwriting's not very good).
Also listed in Austin St., St Mary at the Elm parish, 1865 in 27 Tanners Lane and in 1888 at 37 Tanners Lane and in 1874 & 1891 at 29 Tanners Lane & 10 Tanners Street.
From at least 1881 to 1891 this beerhouse was run by Mrs Rachel Laughlin (nee King) who was born in Hengrave in 1825. Rachel had become a fairly young widow in 1871 and may have taken the Fox and Hounds then as her late husband, Thomas Laughlin, appears to have been a greenhouse keeper and was not recorded as a publican. In 1881 Rachel was living in the beerhouse with her sons, Edgar, (18) a hotel stableman, and William, a pork butchers assistant at the tender age of 13. They were joined by a 65 year old boarder, George Terrey. By 1891 Edgar had left and George Terrey was then recorded as being George TERRY. Rachel had died by 1901.
The 1851 entry matches the named person (Mr Green) in the Ipswich Journal report, but not the occupation.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Information from Miranda Cook)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(information from Dudley Diaper)