Ipswich Duke of Cambridge Innhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed January 10th, 1920
17 Black Horse Ln
grid reference TM 160 446Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/07/2015
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
The pub must have been pretty much where it's marked on our map, as the 1909 Ipswich Rates book shows numbers 1-13 Black Horse Lane, then the pub, with a stables next. It's been placed on the map next to what could have been a stables according to old OS maps.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jun 1875 states :
To be sold by auction, by instructions of the Executors of the late Mr W B Turner, Lot 4, the substantial and well built freehold public house, known as the Duke of Cambridge, situated in Black Horse Lane, and having a frontage of 55ft, and a yard extending 76ft to the rear, containing; in the basement, capital cellarage; on the ground floor, bar and parlour, porter room, private sitting room, kitchen, hall, and passage. On the first floor; club room, 27ft by 15ft, and 2 bedrooms. On the second floor; 3 attics. In the yard; 2 brick and slate out houses. The above is in the occupation of Mr F Clark, at the low rental of £26.0.0
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)