Scroll through other Ipswich closed premises
Also listed at Common Quay and St. Mary at the Quay.
It's shown at this location on the 1884 OS map; an old photograph helps confirm the precise location as immediately to the west of the building still standing with the Waterside bar in it.
An inn called the Dolphin is also recorded in 1528 but we do not know if it is the same building.
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
last updated 14/09/2012
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(information from Dudley Diaper)
A dolphin is seen as a friendly animal that would help ancient mariners by twining itself round the anchor cable in a storm to prevent the anchor dragging. It also features in many coats of arms including the Fishmongers Company and the Company of Watermen. In France from the 14th cent. the eldest son of the king was known as "le dauphin".