Ipswich Dogs Head in the Pot
Dog's Head St
grid reference TM 164 444
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/07/2015
The name apparently alludes to a "dirty slovenly housewife".
An ancient town map (1674) has Dogs Head in the Pot Lane marked. The pub is described as "its appearance was as uncouth as its name with a curiously shaped turret at the corner and an outsize in lantern windows". Later the site was used by offices of the Ipswich Freehold Land Society, latterly the Ipswich Building Society.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(detailed information from Old inns of Suffolk by Leonard P Thompson)