Ipswich Cow & Pail
opened Before 1823
closed 1933 circa
7-11 Rope Walk
grid reference TM 167 444
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/07/2015
Shown here on an 1881 map of Ipswich.
Listed as Cow and Pail Inn in 1932 Kelly's Directory, but as three separate properties in 1939. It seems likely that the Kelly's entries from 1912 onwards may have been for a different pub of the same name, as the 1909 Rating book shows it as "Cow & Pail (late)". Unless it re-opened at a later date (it's not clear what period these books were valid for).
Also listed in "Rope Lane" (1830 & 1844) - presumably an earlier name for Rope Walk.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Oct-20 in 1838 when Mr Schulen was the landlord states that :
The sudden death was announced of Mrs Schulen wife of Mr Schulen of the Cow and Pail.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1845 states that :
To be sold by auction the household furniture and effects of Mr Joseph Backhouse, Cow and Pail, Ipswich, who is quitting the occupation, comprising four feather and flock beds and bedding, 3 chest of drawers, bureau, two 8 day clocks, mahogany dining, Pembroke and painted tables, 3 dozen strong elm chairs, pewter and earthenware measures, glasses, spirit casks, and other miscellaneous requisites.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)