Ipswich Cow & Gate
1 Key St
grid reference TM 165 440
View in Google Earth
last updated 28/07/2015
As shown on an 1881 map
These premises were listed in the 1844 White's Suffolk Trades Directory with carriers operating from the inn to Botesdale, Brundish, Cockfield, Eye, Lavenham, Mendlesham, Norwich, Stradbroke, Woolpit.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 30 May 1741 states :
To be lett, and enter'd upon at Midsummer, or Michaelmas next, the Cow and Gate, a well accustom'd Inn, situate in the Key Parish, Ipswich. The Stock of Beer and Household Goods to be disposed of. Enquire of Mr Michael Thirkle, Senior or Mr Thomas Wilder of Ipswich
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 01 Jan 1743 states :
The Cow and Gate Inn, situated near the Common Key in Ipswich is taken by John Thompson, formerly servant to John Corrance Esq of Rougham.
A report in Ipswich Journal** dated 1 March 1817 announced the Acton, Halliday and Studd brewery let the Cow and Gate near the quays.
Joseph Howes**** (married to Ann Ungless) and was innkeeper here in 1822-23. She was aunt to Robert Carpenter Ungless, and younger sister of Henry Ungless (licensee of Bulls Head in 1851).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** information supplied by Neil Langridge)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(****historical information from Bob Hall)