last owner cobbold
24-26 New St
grid reference TM 170 442
View in Google Earth
last updated 20/01/2015
Once stood roughly where part of the current Suffolk College now stands. New Street evolved in the 1830s as part of the development of the "Potteries" - an impoverished area packed with poor quality housing that was mostly cleared in the 1930s.
One source dates the pub closure to 1921.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.