Ipswich Borough Tavern
previously known as Old Borough Tavern
last owner cobbold
48 Borough Rd
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 20/07/2015
Also listed at Waterworks st.
the 1909 Rates book has an entry added (date unknown, but presumably after the pub closed in 1924), "Now forms part of Transport House". This suggests it stood on the north-west corner of the junction where the union building now stands. Old maps show a substantial building running round from Waterworks Street into Borough Road - this may have been the pub.
Borough Road was the part of what's now Grimwade Street that ran from Rope Walk to Waterworks Street (now Star Lane.)
Before 1850 may be listed at 50 Borough rd
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
At the Ipswich and Suffolk Licensed Victuallers' Trade Protection Society meeting of January 1875, held at the Victoria Inn, Berners Street, Mr R J Dalby, of the Borough Tavern, Borough Road, Ipswich, was accepted as a new member.
The 1916 Kelly's has two entries for this pub, both with the same landlord, at 48 Borough Rd. (west side) and 67 & 69 Water Works St. (east side).
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)