Bury St Edmunds King's Head
previously known as: King William the Fourth, King William the Firsthistorical era: late 20th century
opened early 17th century
4 Brentgovel St
grid reference TL 852 644Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 11/08/2016
Originally located on corner St Johns street and Brentgoval St now where Mothercare is now located. (information from G Reeve)
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 14 May 1768 states : John Kimmance, late Butler to William Mossley Esq. of Fornham, has taken the King's Head Inn, situated near the Market-Place in Bury St Edmunds.
Demolished in 1976 for retail development. Mothercare now occupies its site.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old directory information courtesy of Desmond Herring)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)