closed between 1923 and roughly 1930
last owner tollemache
26 Cox Ln
grid reference TM 166 444
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/07/2015
Possibly backing onto the old Tollemache brewery site. In 2008 the only remaining evidence of the pub was the gatepost on left hand side of picture adjacent to Congregational churchyard wall.
Although there have been reports that the pub closed in 1907, it's still recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923. The pub's entry in the 1910 Ipswich Rates book is annotated "Late Belvedere - new site General Gordon", so taking the police book into account it seems it must have closed between 1923 and roughly 1930 (the exact length of time the Rates book was used isn't known, but it seems to be until about then).
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jun 1875 states that :
To be sold by auction, as instructed by the Trustees under the Will of the late James Allen Ransome, Esq., lot No.3, the Belvedere Beer House, in Cox Lane, with a cottage, and a large piece of garden ground in the rear, abutting upon the commodious mansion in Carr Street, lately occupied by the deceased, and upon the grounds of Tacket Street Chapel.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in July 1875 states that :
At the sale of the late Mr J A Ransome's house and other properties, Lot 3, the Belvedere beer house in Cox Lane with gardeners cottage to the rear with, yard, a large garden now used as a croquet lawn and having a gated entrance from Cox Lane. Total area 38 rods; land tax 18s. The bidding for this lot was very spirited until it reached a bid of £1070, at which sum it was purchased by Mr J Fox acting for Mr Cullingham.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(information from Dudley Diaper)