Ipswich Admirals Headhistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
2 & 4 St Margaret's St
grid reference TM 167 446Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 03/03/2016
The name probably refers to Admiral Vernon; resident of Nacton and victor in the Battle of Portobello (1739).
This premises was listed in the 1844 White's Directory with carriers then operating from the inn to Woodbridge.
Long-demolished; the 1883 OS map shows it as standing on the site of the defunct Odeon building.
Listed at 2 & 4 St Margaret's St., next to the Red Lion (formerly Lion) at 6. After this pub closed the Red Lion is listed at 4.
Also listed at St Margarets green
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1810 states :
George Garrett, having taken the Admiral's Head, Ipswich, respectively solicits the favours of his friends and the public, and assures them of his utmost exertions to afford every requisite accommodation, with wines, etc., of the best quality, which he trusts will meet their support and recommendations. Market dinners as usual. Good Stabling.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Aug 1825 states :
To be sold by auction, unless previously disposed of by private contract, the Admiral's Head, Ipswich, (along with 6 other Suffolk public houses, Blue Coat Boy, Bell on the Corn Hill, Bricklayers Arms in Globe Lane, Porto Bello, George the Third, in Ipswich and the Pye at Stonham). Any person desirous of purchasing all the above houses may be accommodated with a freehold brewery and plant, nearly all new, capable of brewing upwards of 7000 barrels of beer a year; together with an extensive beer and spirit trade, to which may be added the wine trade, with store rooms, vaults, liquor warehouses, hop lofts, two counting houses, stables for 12 horses, with hay and straw lofts, coach house, cooperage, cart sheds, yards, etc. An excellent built malt house, 48 coombs steep, with barley chambers capable of containing 700 quarters, malt shops and granaries that will contain 2000 quarters of malt; a convenient Mansion in front, and cottage adjoining, with another cottage at the back entrance. Possession may be had at Michaelmas or Christmas, or later if required.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 11 Feb in 1837 states that :
Sale by trustees of The Admiral's Head Inn, Ipswich for Mr Richard CASTON, deceased.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 06 Aug in 1853 states that :
Mr CASTON, the Proprietor, has given instructions to sell the Admiral's Head, St Margaret's Street, Ipswich - A substantial freehold property, in excellent repair, a large sum of money has been spent on it in the last 2 years - 2 entrance halls, with staircases & wide landings, club room 49 feet by 19 feet, which is divided by shifting partitions in to 3 well-proportioned rooms; porter room, large bar with parlour adjoining, upstairs parlour, water-closet, 11 sleeping-rooms, attic, kitchen, wash-house, pantries, store-rooms, spacious dry cellars, good stabling & sheds & every other suitable accommodation. Mr CASTON retires from business.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1855 states that :
To be sold by auction at the Admiral's Head Inn, part of the excellent household furniture and effects of Mr Richard Caston, who has let the house and retires from business; comprising, in the parlours and kitchen, mahogany, wainscot, dining, pillar, Pembroke, and tap room tables, hollow seated chairs, carpets, fenders, fire irons, etc. In the chambers, mahogany four-post, tent, French and stump bedsteads, feather beds and bedding, dressing and washing tables, chairs, toilet glasses, etc.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1870 states that :
Old established free public house to be let or sold. The fully licensed house known as the Admiral's Head, Ipswich. Fixtures only to be taken.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Aug 1890 states that :
At the Ipswich Borough Police Session held on the 26th an occasional license was granted to Mr L H Betts, of the Admiral's Head, on the occasion of the Quoit Challenge Cup Competition at Stoke rectory on the 23rd.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Oct-15 in 1898 states that the owners, Tollemache, were to surrender the licence for the Admirals Head as a condition of receiving a full licence for the Shoulder of Mutton.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)