Ipswich Cardinal's Hat (Admiral's Hat)historical era: Victorian / Edwardian
closed December 31st, 1912
23 Cardinal St
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.last updated 16/07/2015
Closure date recorded in the Borough Police licensed premises register 1903-1923.
Residential in 1932, demolished by 1939.
Also may be listed at 22 or 24 Cardinal st.
This may also be listed in Cecelia St.
Pub open between 1888-1912?
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** on Feb-17 in 1880 when Maria Barber was the landlord states that :
Maria Barber (79 years) landlady of the Cardinals Hat, was aquitted of aiding and abetting her daughter Maria Osman and a E T Groom in acts of fraud. Osman and Groom had been buying articles from local tradesmen without the means of paying for them. They used the Cardinals Hat as their base for the transactions.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)