Scroll through other Ilketshall St Lawrence closed premises
The pub appears on OS maps at least as late as 1957 but seems to have gone by 1973, so presumably closed between those dates.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 28 Sep in 1839 states that :
Royal Oak, Ilketshall St Andrew(?) to be sold, occupied by Robert WOOLNOUGH
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1870 states that :
To be sold by auction, the noted well accustomed and old established public house, the Royal Oak, at St. Lawrence Ilketshall, situated by the side of the Turnpike road, midway between Halesworth and Bungay, with a blacksmithâs shop, stable, workshop, yards, and garden. Also, one Going or Common Right on St. Lawrence Green. The above house has been occupied by Mr Robert Woolnough for the last 55 years.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Feb-16 in 1884 when Mr Frmley was the landlord states that :
"Robert Smith went to the Royal Oak at 11 am, his wife next saw him from her bedroom window at 10pm. She called out to him and he told her to shut the window. He fired a single shot which blew out the window but luckly missed his wife. He was found guilty of unlawful & felonious shooting and was sentenced to 9 months hard labour."
last updated 06/11/2013
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(Some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)