Ilketshall St Margaret Greyhound
closed between 1951 and 1957?
Low St, St Margaret's
grid reference TM 348 853
View in Google Earth
last updated 16/07/2015
Now residential and called the Forge - a reminder that some of the previous landlords had two jobs - innkeeper & blacksmith. The forge itself was behind the pub, as can be seen on this 1884 OS map.
The pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1951, but appears to be gone by the 1957 (and subsequent) sheets, so presumably closed between these dates.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jun 1845 states :
To be sold by auction, by instructions of the Administrator of the late Robert Butcher, Esq., deceased, the free public house, called the Greyhound Inn, St Margaret in Ilketshall, having a blacksmith's shop attached, good stables and outbuildings, small well planted gardens, and a piece of old fine pasture land, now in the tenure of James Ling.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 03 Nov in 1860 states that :
John JEX, lately of Starston, farm bailiff, applied for leave to hold the licence of the Greyhound Inn at Ilketshall St Margaret's. He handed the bench several certificates of character, which were approved, and the application granted.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(census data from Ken Herlingshaw)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)