grid reference TL 991 787Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.last updated 03/03/2019
also traded as as: Cherry Treehistorical era: mid 20th century
closed between 1958 and 1976
The Greyhound is shown as late as 1958 on OS maps. By the 1976 sheet it's shown as "old Greyhound", so it evidently closed between those dates.
It isn't clear to us which of the cluster of buildings here was the inn itself, or whether it took them all up.
According to A Survey of Suffolk Parish History, the Cherry Tree (the Greyhound's older name) was recorded as long ago as 1761.
The 1869 Kelly's Directory lists the landlord William Haywood as a brewer. This is currently the only reference we have to brewing on these premises.
The pub can be seen on this old OS map from about 1903 (larger map)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Old OS map reproduced with the permission of the National Library of Scotland.