closed between 1958 and 1976
grid reference TL 985 791
View in Google Earth
last updated 20/01/2015
The pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1958, but by the 1976 sheet it's shown as "Chequer House", so must have closed between those dates.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.