previously known as: Dukes Headhistorical era: Victorian or Edwardian
closed July 16th, 1909
grid reference TM 413 789Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 15/03/2016
Now a guesthouse.
Closed July 16th, 1909 as part of a scheme to reduce the number of alcohol licenses.
Called the Dukes Head in 1891.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 27 Sep in 1820 states that :
The Old-Established Public House, called The Duke, Holton, situate next the turnpike road, with about 4 acres, now in the occupation of Messrs Reeve, brewers, and their under tenant, as tenant at will, for sale, freehold.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1840 states :
To be sold by auction, a modern built and well accustomed public Inn called the Duke Inn, Holton; comprising commodious sitting and sleeping rooms, stables, adapted to accommodate 8 horses, and other requisite buildings; together with a garden, yards, and two inclosures of productive arable land, containing together 4 acres, lying contiguous, and adjoining the Turnpike Road leading from Halesworth to Beccles. There is good brick earth on the land, the whole estate is freehold, and now in the occupation of Mr John Revans, yearly tenant. The only out going is an annual land tax of 17s 4d.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Apr 1855 states that :
To be sold by auction, Lot 2, all that substantially built brick and tiled freehold public house, known as the Duke, in Holton, with stabling for 8 horses, and other buildings, a pump of good spring water, a large and well planted garden, and 4 acres of capital arable land. This lot is in occupation of Mr Edward Sheppard, and possession will be given at Michaelmas next.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1875 states :
At the Halesworth Petty Sessions of January 1875, the license for the Duke, Holton, was transferred from Ephraim Hilling to Charles Wilson.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Blything licensing records.