Bury St Edmunds Coach & Horses
4 Honey Hill
grid reference TL 857 639
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 30/07/2015
Parts of the building date from the 14th century, with much added in the 17th. The pub actually took up the whole building (both the stone-faced section and the pink one).
Also listed in 1823 and 1879 at Schoolhouse st, and also at 9 Schoolhall St, Swan Lane and at 4 or 5 Honey Hill.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 13 Sep in 1837 states that :
Frederick CLARK, after 9 years at the Coach & Horses, has removed to the Dog Inn, Churchgate Street, Bury. Joseph DECARLE has taken the Coach & Horses, School-street, Bury
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 01 Oct in 1856 states that :
To be let: that old-established Public-house, the Coach & Horses Inn, with good stabling, brewing plant & situate near the Shire Hall, BSE, Apply to F.W. KING, Bury ( a similar advert was placed a year later, on 6th October 1857).
A report in the Bury & Norwich Post** in 1857 (Oct-27) when Mr Ellis was landlord stated:
George Moore was charged with stealing a towel from the Waggon that he later tried to sell to Ellis. He was found guilty and sentenced to 14 days jail and to be well whipped.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jul 1875 states :
To be sold by auction, by the instructions of the Trustees of the late Robert Mulkin, Esq., at the Angel Hotel, Bury St. Edmund's, the Coach and Horses, in School Hall Street, at Bury St. Edmund's.NOTE: Mulkin also owned Bradfield Combust Manger, Bury Bushel, Bury Castle, Bury Duke of Edinburgh, Bury Ram, and Bury Three Tuns.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
 Coach & horses became a means of transport for many travellers during the 17th and 18th cent. especially for those who could not afford their own vehicle. As regular services evolved, they soon encouraged many inns enroute to become natural stopping points for refreshments - with journeys broken into stages (about 8 miles) - and many eventually provided stabling to enable regular changes of horses. Their demise started in 1840s with the building of the railway network.
 In 1836 the Shire Hall was described as "a neat modern building, situated on the ancient site of St. Margaret's church, and contains two good-sized courts, which have but one inconvenience, that is, having no internal communication."