Scroll through other Higham (Babergh) closed premises
Some doubt has been cast on whether the building we have identified is in fact the correct one. If you can help with more information, please get in touch.
A Victorian brewery once was based here.
Converted into a shop and Post Office after sale of premises in 1911. The sale advert (Feb 1911) describes the sale as follows:
"In a good residential neighbourhood, an old fashioned and commodious dwelling house now or recently known as the Gamekeeper's Arms, which will be sold as an unlicensed property.
Containing a spacious shop suitable for an entrance hall, large front room (19' x 17' x 9' high), second entrance door from front with entrance passage, sitting room, pantry and cupboard. At the back is another sitting room and cellar adjoining. Bake office now used as a kitchen with oven and range. Scullery, coal place, brew house with Copper and brick oven and wood or hen house at end. Above are 4 good front bedrooms (2 with stoves) and dressing room, cupboards and two back bed rooms."
last updated 01/09/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some historic details and directory information from John Martin)