Haverhill Weavers' Armshistorical era: mid 20th century
closed between 1922 and 1926
6 Hamlet Rd
grid reference TL 674 451Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 16/07/2015
Also listed at "The Hamlet".
The pub is shown on OS maps at least as late as 1904 but seems to have gone by the 1926 and subsequent sheets, so presumably closed between 1922 (last directory entry found) and 1926.
Shown here on the 1887 OS map.
The pub must have had a number of rooms as the 1891 census** shows James Rawlinson as innkeeper with another 33 people sleeping there on the day of the count (The pub in its final decades had established a reputation as a doss-house).
The 1891 census** count also included six families - one family made up of seven individuals. Also lodging that night were seven members of a Bavarian group whose occupations were listed as "travelling musicians".
Closed & demolished early 1920s
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(**information from Haverhill & District Local History Group - supplied by Graham Nunn)