also traded as as: White Swanhistorical era: late 20th century
last owner Greene King
20 Mill Rd
grid reference TL 670 454Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 26/09/2016
Also listed as being at Chantry Croft.
Closed 1982; it was a Greene King pub at the time of its closure.
Now converted into flats.
It is well documented**** that the 1667 "Great Fire of Haverhill", which destroyed much of the town, started in an inn called the Swan. It is thought the 17th century building was on a different site, near or on the High Street.
In Mar 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that Graham Attwater and his wife Christine were here offering 3 GK beers on handpump. A "basic no frills pub."
In Apr/May 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that this GK pub was closed until further notice with no evidence of renovations having started to the White Swan as yet.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)
(**** historic information from Graham Nunn)