Haverhill Red Lion
also traded as as: Lion, White Lyonhistorical era: mid 20th century
closed 1930s circa
45 High St
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.last updated 16/07/2015
Deeds in the Grace Gurteen collection*** show the pub to have been open as the White Lyon by 1685.
Graham Nunn says "Looking at the sales description from the 1894 sale of the Red Lion in Sturmer [just over the Essex border], it closely matches both the above pub description and the appearance of the Sturmer pub. The Lion in Haverhill was in the High Street. No one recalls parents or grandparents mentioning more than one pub called the Lion although it does seem to have gone by different colours! Thus two Haverhill closed pubs listed on the website (the Lion and the Red Lion) are most likely just the one premises at 45 High Street.
Hope this information and the attached details are useful."
Pub was closed in 1930s and demolished soon after.
Located a few doors to the west of the Ram.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 12 Jan in 1803 states that :
A Public House with immediate possession...To be sold by auction on the premises on 20 Jan 1803...All that good-customed Public-House, called the Lion, in the parish of Sturmer?, near Haverhill, now in the occupation of Mr John BETTS, the proprietor; comprising a brewery with convenient cellarage, tap room, 2 parlours, 5 chambers, back house, pantries and every domestic apartment, together with a yard, stable, garden etc. The premises are in complete repair, commanding a good local & road trade.
In the early 1880s Henry Richardson*** was brewing from the Red Lion premises; but by the 1890s the Pampisford Brewery had taken over the brewing part of the business to use as a stores. (as seen in 1900 pic)
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** information obtained from Journal of the Haverhill and District Local History Group - supplied by Graham Nunn)