Halesworth King's Head
closed October 18th, 1959
33 Quay St
grid reference TM 387 777
View in Google Earth
CAMRA North-East Suffolk branch.
last updated 16/07/2015
Historically listed as a hotel. Listed in Bridge st in 1891 and Station Rd in 1912.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 30 Sep in 1840 states that :
On 30th September, 1840 Mr George Taylor married Mary Anne, daughter of Mrs COOKE, of the Kings Head Inn, Halesworth.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1860 states that :
On the evening of Tuesday 27th March 1860, Robert Haward was leaving the Kings Head yard in Halesworth in his gig, and whilst the landlord, Mr Chipperfield, was fastening the belly band and his son leading the horse it suddenly charged off, both were thrown down, with the vehicle passing over them. The son was more fortunate than the father, who received some severe bruises about the ribs. No blame was attributed to Mr Haward, who did his best to prevent the accident.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 26 Oct in 1869 states that :
The licensed Victuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to N.CHIPPERFIELD of the King's Head, Halesworth.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)