Bury St Edmunds Griffinhistorical era: late 20th century
grid reference TL 852 644Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA West Suffolk & Borders branch.
last updated 19/05/2017
Site occupied until the early 2010s by 'The Officer's Club' shop. (location information from Stuart Palmer) After standing empty for a couple of years, it was renovated in 2015 and now houses a café.
The building dates from the early 18th century, with a 19th century frontage.
In the June/July 1981 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that a CAMRA Regional meeting was held at the public house - thanks to landlord Colin Ridett.
In the December 1982 edition of Last Orders*** it was reported that the Griffin (Tolly) had closed.
Listed in 1823 at Beast Market, in 1839 at Corn Market, in 1874 at 10 Corn Market & 1891 at 10 Cornhill.
Historically a family & commercial hotel & wine & spirit merchant with at one time offering stabling for 50 horses.
The licensed Victuallers Tea Association advertised the sale of tea via its Suffolk Agents. This was a response to the irregular sale of Wine by Grocers and included a reference to G.W. HAMMOND of the Griffin Inn, Bury.Ipswich Journal, October 26th 1869**
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** Last Orders is a free local newsletter - published by Suffolk CAMRA members since 1978)
A griffin is a fabulous monster - half eagle and half lion - popular in heraldry and often spelt griffon or gryphon.