Woodbridge White Hart
previously known as Gin Shop, Black Boy, Maidenhead, Cyder Press
1 Brook St
grid reference TM 274 490
View in Google Earth
last updated 15/07/2015
Demolished and replaced by a modern development.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the White Hart's license was issued in 1823.
Note: Henry Edwards (not necessarily one person) is recorded in various censuses at Cumberland St., Church St. and Warren Hill in the same business.
None of the censuses identify a pub.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Mar 1810 states that : Mrs Abel died, a few days since at the White Hart Inn, Woodbridge
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1815 states that :
To be sold by auction the household furniture of Mrs Smith, at the White Hart Inn, Woodbridge, who is retiring from business; consisting of three 4-post bedsteads, cotton furniture, featherbeds, wool mattresses, blankets and quilts, about 6 dozen wooden bottom chairs, mahogany wainscot, dining and pillar tables, bureau and bookcase, 4 cotton festoon window curtains, 7 dozen knives and forks, a large quantity Queen's and earthen ware, china, glass, punch bowls, drinking mugs, and general useful furniture.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)