Framlingham Waggon & Horseshistorical era: Victorian / Edwardian
29 Fore St
grid reference TM 285 633Something we've got wrong about this establishment? Something more you think we should know about it? Please email us
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Ipswich & East Suffolk branch.
last updated 29/11/2016
A plaque on the building now says "The Old Tavern House".
A document in the Suffolk Record Office records this pub as being open circa 1750.
Mainly built in the 16th century, with 19th century additions.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1860 states that : The death was announced on the 16th November 1860, at Framlingham, of Mr Francis Bilney, landlord of the Wagon and Horses Inn, and butcher, aged 65 years.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Dec 1860 states that :
A notice in the 8th December 1860 Ipswich Journal. William Wolton, Butcher and Innkeeper, Waggon and Horses Fore Street, Framlingham Begs to inform the clergy, the gentry, and the inhabitants of Framlingham, and its vicinity, that having engaged to take the late Mr Francis Bilney's business, he intends to conduct it on the same principles as were strictly adopted by his predecessor, assuring everyone who will convey their favour upon him, which will be thankfully received, that they may depend upon being always supplied at reasonable prices, with meat of the best quality, to render himself worthy of their patronage and support, which he humbly solicits.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Sep 1870 states that :
An application was made for a full license at the Station Hotel but there were objections from the landlord of the Railway Inn and from the landlady of the White Horse Inn. Mr Cobbold was willing to withdraw the license from the Waggon and Horses Inn in favour of the Station Hotel, this arrangement was acceptable to both objectors and magistrates, the transfer was granted.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)