Scroll through other Felixstowe closed premises
Built in 1839 by John Cobbold and originally called the Hamilton Hotel.
Formerly it was known as Hamilton Arms and was renamed to the Bath Hotel in the 1860s. It may also have been at one time the Hamilton temperence Hotel (a time at which it won't have been of great interest to visitors to this site).
Burned down on April 28th, 1914 after incendiary devices were planted by militant Suffragettes. Hilda Birkett and Florence Tunks set fire to the hotel as part of their âVotes for Womenâ campaign. The hotel was empty at the time, but was completely gutted. Crowds gathered for their trial at Bury Assizes on 29th May, where they both received prison sentences.
Interestingly, at the time of the fire, it was operated by Cobbold's but owned by Tollemache.
The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Bath's license was issued in 1853. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable.
Shown here on the 1903 OS map. The pub immediately to the south of the hotel was probably the Bath Tap.
last updated 07/11/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)