Eye Grapeshistorical era: Victorian or Edwardian
closed December 31st, 1909
last owner Colchester Brewing Company
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.last updated 15/07/2015
Closed in 1909 as part of a scheme to get rid of "excess" alcohol licenses.
Subsequently destroyed by fire; now a garden.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jun 1850 states that :
To be sold by auction, by direction of the proprietor, a free public house, called the Grapes Inn, situated in Church Street, Eye, with a most compact brewery, large yard, and every requisite outbuilding, together with a Grocer's shop, dwelling house and premises.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 06 Aug in 1853 states that :
Auction of the Grapes Inn, Eye, Public House with compact Brewery, Yard, Grocer's Shop, in the occupations of Mr George MUDD & Mr Henry BIRD.
In 1865 the landlord, Henry Bird, is also listed as a ginger beer & soda water manufacturer.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
Closure date from Eye town licensing records.