closed November 28th, 1942
31 Magdalen St
grid reference TM 142 737
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
last updated 14/08/2015
Thought to date from the 18th century.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on Aug-03 in 1833 when Susan & William Moss was the landlord & landlady states that they were :
Witnesses at a trial. William Jolly was found guilty of setting fire to a wheat stack and sentenced to death.
Closed in 1942 "for the duration [of the war]". Appears not to have reopened afterwards, in May 1946 the license was transferred to the Halesworth Triple Plea, which until then only had a beerhouse license.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 03 Jun in 1837 stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Crown.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure details from Eye licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)