Eye Cherry Tree
closed August 25th, 1954
last owner Lacon's
17 Castle St
grid reference TM 145 737
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 14/08/2015
Also listed Church St in 1904.
One of two Lacon's pubs in Eye called "The Cherry Tree"; coincidentally they both closed within about a year of each other.
May historically be listed as a commercial hotel & posting house
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 03 Jun in 1837 stated that Robert Koipe COBBOLD of the Eye Brewery was retiring from business & was looking to sell various Inns & Public Houses including the Cherry Tree.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 07 Jun in 1873 states that :
Auction by the executors of the late B.C. ETHERIDGE Esq - three pubs including - The Cherry Tree, Eye in the occupation of Mr George GREEN.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** in Mar 1890 states that :
The death was announced of Frederick Self former landlord of the Eye Cherry Tree Inn (1877 to 1889), he died on the 25th February at Gislingham Bells Inn aged 51. Self had taken on the Bells at the previous Michaelmas, he had been for a long time an esteemed member of the Forester's Court "Pride of the Forrest" at Eye. The internment at Eye cemetery will be attended by the brethren of the court in full regalia.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in Jan 1895 states :
A notice place in the Ipswich Journal in January 1895 reads: William Bullock, Cherry Tree Hotel, Eye, in thanking the Clergy, Nobility and public generally for the support accorded him during the past 8 years, begs to inform them he has Broughams, Landaus, Phaetons, Dog Carts, Large brake and â€˜Bus for cricket and other outings. Hearse and Mourning coaches, Wedding carriages, to orders for which special attention is given. Charges strictly moderate, a bus leaves every Friday for Diss at 1 30, returning from the Crown Hotel at 5 30, fare 1s return.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Eye licensing records.
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)