Eye Bedingfield Arms
closed April 4th, 1967
last owner Lacon's
24 Lambseth St
grid reference TM 144 740
listed building grade II
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 04/03/2016
An early 17th century building with the brick exterior dating from the 19th century.
A Victorian brewery also is listed at the site.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 23 Oct in 1883 gives the following :
Reference to George KERRY, Thatcher & rat catcher, whose dog (a good ratter) had been shot dead."He left his premises in Stowupland for a day or two, to look after a beer house in his occupation, at Eye, called the Bedingfield Arms. In the Winter he used to get his living by rat catching. Awarded £15 in compensation.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Eye licensing records.
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)