Scroll through other Elmsett closed premises
Dates from the 17th century or earlier.
Shown on the 1905 OS map, but by the 1926 sheet, all that's shown is "Chequers Farm", so presumably it closed between 1916 (last directory entry found) and 1926.
A report in the Ipswich Journal** on 16 Apr in 1836 states that :
Notice to creditors for Robert MERRINGTON, The elder, of The Chequers Inn, Elmsett (By 10 Aug 1839 this Inn is occupied by Mr Anthony SHIPP)
listed building grade II
last updated 17/08/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(some old PO directory information courtesy of londonpublichouse.com)
(** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
The chequerboard as a pub sign may have its origins from Roman taverns when a board game like draughts was often advertised and played. It may also be an ancient sign to indicate the landlord was a money-lender or could offer secure storage for a travellers valuables.