opened 1840s (mid)
closed May 10th, 1956
last owner Lacon's
Denham (Mid Suffolk) Green Man
grid reference TM 195 739
View in Google Earth
CAMRA Mid-Anglia branch.
last updated 15/05/2016
The Green Man was popular with US airmen during WW2, as it was close to the RAF Horham airbase. Glenn Miller certainly visited the pub, as photographs exist of him standing outside it.
A report in the Ipswich Journal*** on 29 May in 1847 states that :
Auction of a recently built freehold public house called the "Green Man Inn" with Butcher's Shop & Buildings at Denham, by the side of the road leading from Hoxne to Horeham, in the occupation of Mr John COOK
A report in the Ipswich Journal** in May 1850 states that :
To be sold by auction, a substantially erected, well frequented freehold public house, called the Green Man Inn, in Denham near Eye, including kitchen, parlour, little parlour, bar, cellar, 5 bedrooms, convenient offices; with butcher's shop, slaughterhouse, stable and other buildings, and yard, eligibly suited for trade, by the side of the road leading from Hoxne to Horham, and now in the occupation of Mr John Cook, who is under notice to quit at Michaelmas next.
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
Closure date from Hoxne licensing records.
(1861 census information from Malcolm Fairley)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)
A Green Man is a sculpture, drawing, or other representation of a face surrounded by or made from leaves. Also frequently found on carvings in churches and other buildings (both secular and ecclesiastical).