Scroll through other Creeting St Mary closed premises
License surrendered 1959.
The King's Head front door opened into a narrow, tiled passage leading straight through to the back door.
Leading off to the right was the main bar, or tap room. The furniture here was very sparse consisting of one long table down one side, bench seats all round, a couple of chairs, and a rather dilapidated grandfather clock in one corner. The far side was dominated by a large red brick fireplace complete with elaborate iron spit. From this room was a door leading to a small, more nicely furnished public room (for ladies), a larger room which could be used for parties and one of the two staircases.
From the left, after going in the front door, there was another stair case and then you went down a narrow passage, some twenty paces to the beer cellar. Opposite this was a smaller public room called "the Coop" with a piano and an even smaller room that housed spirits, wine, crisps etc and the cash till. Beyond that the passage continued to the private kitchen/living quarters. Beer was all drawn straight from the barrels, there was no bar as we know them today, and to pick up and fill a glass and take it back to the tap room involved a trip of a good fifty paces. And people would often come to the front door with a jug to be filled with beer and taken home - this was popular with Sunday dinner.
Upstairs there were five bedrooms but no bathroom - it was a tin bath and outside toilets for everyone. Like all pubs it could be very quiet and we often kept a roaring fire in the tap room for just one customer all night. Then there were darts matches and parties which kept us busy. After Church was also a good time as a fair number of the choir and congregation would call in on the way home. In fact our best piano player was the Church organist Jacky Runnacles who would come and play after services and then have to bike home to Stonham.
(extract from an article is by Charlie Poulson, once the landlord of The King's Head Inn, Creeting St Mary - see full article here)
The Listed Buildings Register erroneously has this as having been the Buck's Head. That was actually a former name for the Highwayman. The King's Head was built in the late 16th century; we assume it was subdivided into two houses after closing.
listed building grade II
last updated 19/10/2014
(Most pub, location & historic details collated by Nigel, Tony or Keith - original sources are credited)
(1891 census information from Dudley Diaper)
(** historic newspaper information from Stuart Ansell)
(*** historic newspaper information from Bob Mitchell)